Thursday, October 28, 2010

Weyerbacher Fourteen

Brewer : Weyerbacher Brewing Co. (Pennsylvania)
Style : Barley Wine
ABV : 11.8%


I've know for a while now about what beers I like to reach for first. Usually my first instinct is to grab a Imperial Stout or Porter, or if I'm lucky enough, a good Pumpkin Ale. But I'm also slowly starting to find out what I'm not too partial towards. One would be Barley Wines, quickly followed by Scotch Ales. Now I'll drink just about anything, don't get me wrong, but the thing about Barley Wines is that they tend to be just a little too heavy for my palate. I enjoy a big beer just as much as the next beer geek,  but there's just something about  Barley Wines I can't seem to stomach. Who knows? Perhaps I just haven't had the right one yet, or the one that's blown me  away. With that  being said, here's today's review on the Weyerbacher Fourteen.


Picked up this 12oz bottle on my most recent trip to Orlando. Found it sitting right next to the Fifteen so I went for both. Poured into my Delirium snifter glass it has a brown color with reddish tints. The head was thin and quite bubbly, and it left a good amount of lacing around the rim. The aromas were quite fruity, very similar to a Belgian, but with a spicy kick to it. With the ABV being at 11.8% it felt a little heavy on the mouth/palate, but didn’t kill the flavors. Had an almost sticky taste to it, and even a little chewy. I wasn’t blown away, but it was still a decent find.

Grade B

 

No comments:

Post a Comment