Monday, October 11, 2010

Southern Star Buried Hatchet Stout

Brewer : Souther Star Brewing Co. (Texas)
Style : Stout
ABV : 8.25%


"A can?" That was the response I got from my brothers girlfriend when I pulled this one out of my cooler. Contrary to popular belief, most of which are by non craft beer drinkers, good beer can come from a can and this one is a shining example. My first big "wow" beer that came from a can was Oskar Blues Ten Fidy. That just  knocked me out of my chair. This one is a very close second in my opinion. Here's my remarks, verbatim....




Got in a recent trade, but I didn’t know what to expect. I had read that this was a great beer and that a lot of people said it was good, but I just sort of went for it on a whim and I’m really glad that I did. After trying Ten Fidy I’m not scared of Stouts, or any beer for that matter, out of a can. The aroma is full of chocolate and roasted malts. The color is jet black with a thin brown, bubbly head to it. The taste is super smooth with chocolate, malt, and roasted nut flavors, and just a little bit of coffee bitterness on the back end. All the flavors seem to work in harmony really well. The ABV is masked amongst the flavors very well. Carbonation is on point and the head retention is outstanding. 


Grade A

No comments:

Post a Comment