Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Mikkeller Black Hole Barrel Aged Edition (Bourbon)

Brewer : Mikkeller (Denmark)
Style : Imperial Stout
ABV : 13.1%


Mikkeller....not again. Oh yes it is guys!!! It's not going anywhere, so get use to it. I have to give a shot out to my beautiful, loving, caring girlfriend Kim who brought this one back from NY for me. How great a present is that. Maybe I should have her rate a few beers. That might be interesting. 


This one, from the first whiff, has a big nose of bourbon and coffee. The other aromas, such as honey and chocolate (dark chocolate) are in there as well, but the bourbon and coffee definitely take center stage on this one. Now with that being said, I expected the first sip to be almost harsh on the palate, with the aroma being somewhat overpowered by bourbon, but much to my surprise it was incredibly smooth and easy to drink. I’m not gonna get super technical about every detail, I’m just gonna say it’s a great beer. The carbonation isn't  super  intense, but that's what I've come to expect from good imperial stouts. A gentleman's drink, that's for sure.


Grade A

No comments:

Post a Comment