Saturday, October 23, 2010

Tales of a 27th Birthday

So in wake of last night's birthday celebration for myself and my brother today's entry will be less of a blog per say and more of a recap of last night's events, and how things got a little out of hand.

I got out of work at 6pm, which is a little early for a Friday but I wasn't complaining in the slightest, for I knew good things were awaiting me in Delray. I got back to my place and quickly went for the beer fridge to grab a Cottonwood Pumpkin beer. 
It was quite tasty but my palate has matured since I've taken my first sip of Dogfish Punkin many moons ago, so I wasn't blown away by this one. It had subtle hints of pumpkin and spice,  but nothing really blew me away.
So after waiting for about an hour for my girlfriend Kim to get ready we jumped on 95 and headed to Delray for our 8:30 meet up with my brother Andy and my sister Natalie. We were delayed in route however when we hit Sample and the two right lanes were blocked by god knows what. I quickly decided to avert the delay that lay in our path and get off 95. Long story short we got to Tryst with a little bit of time to spare. 
Dinner was lovely, we munched on finger foods pretty much, shrimp,fish tacos etc and had a few drinks. I got a glass of Dogfish Punkin and after polishing that off fairly quickly turned my attention towards the Humidor IPA from Cigar City. It's been well over a year since I've first tried this beer and it's still has good as I remembered. Lucky for me this time I had friends and family there to help finish the bottle. 

 I dipped  out of Tryst around 10pm to hurry down to Coffee District to  meet up with Phil (The Ferm) and Kelly (CervezaChica) for some post dinner drinks. Phil quickly pulled me aside and handed me a bottle of Dogfish Wrath of Pecant as a gift. Anyone who knows me well enough should know that a bottle a beer as a gift is a sure fire way of getting the job done right, so thanks Phil and Kelly for the gift, I can't wait to try it. 
So after establishing and setting up camp at Coffee District my party began to arrive. I decided to go right for the goods and pull out a bottle of Mikkeller Chipotle Porter.


This beer was less of a porter and more of BBQ in a bottle. The aroma was smoky and spicy, as was the taste. The pour was super dark with a thin brown bubbly head to it. Needless to say I was hooked on the thing, but quickly spread the love around and  poured some for everyone.
Next in line was The Greater Pumpkin by Heavy Seas.
 This one I've been looking forward to trying for quite some time. I've had a lot of pumpkin beers this year but never one that was aged in bourbon barrels. In one small word: Awesome. Hopefully more breweries will catch on to this bourbon barrel/pumpkin thing. 
The aroma was super sweet and pumpkiny. I got a little bit of bourbon in the aroma was well, but nothing too overpowering. Good amount of cinnamon and spice to keep intrigued throughout the entire glass. 
I many other great beers that night, 09 Double Bastard and Buried The Hatchet, but what I really loved the most, or the highlight of the night I should say, goes to Brian and Andy singing some sort of duet. I don't know the name of the song, and it's probably best that I don't, but it was one of the funnies things I've seen in a long while. 

 We capped off the night with a few drinks at Falcon House, actually I had already begun to drink water because my friends was on the verge of puking up dinner, which they did eventually. 
Needless to say it was a great night. One for the books. Good friends. Good Beer. Good Times. 

2 comments:

  1. Kel yacked on the way home.....seems to be something about our women and not being able to handle their beer! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man. Seems like the women just couldn't hang last night.

    ReplyDelete