Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Smuttynose Baltic Porter

Brewer : Smuttynose Brewing Company (New Hampshire)
Style : Baltic Porter
ABV : 8.7%


I'm always excited to try a beer that isn't available in South Florida. Smuttynose is available in a lot of stores down here, but some of their beers, especially the "Big Beer" series beers, are a little harder to come by. So I was thrilled when I received this as an extra in a trade a few months  back. I'm a big fan of darker beers, porters, stouts, etc, so this was especially exciting for me. 


 Bottle from the 2009 vintage. This has to be one of the blackest, thickest porters I’ve seen in a long time. From the first pour, the color is jet black and pretty thick, syrup like thick. The aromas were full of chocolate with roasted hop character to it. The head was somewhat thin and sparse, but a pretty brown color. The head retention wasn’t too impressive, and the carbonation wasn’t too strong, but for a porter I won’t complain. Many of the flavors held roasted qualities and it was a great beer to share with friends. I remember the taste being a sticky on my mouth and maybe even a little chewy. This bottle being from 2009 I'm sure that many of the flavors have matured over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment