Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Devious Imperial Pumpkin Ale

Brewer : Bethlehem Brew Works (Penn.)
Style : Pumpkin Ale
ABV : 9%

With Thanksgiving being last week I though it be only right to break open my last bottle of Pumpkin ale of the year to help wash down some dessert. I had heard about this pumpkin beer from a fellow beer lover CrazyCatLady who stated that it was a must try for a pumpkin beer lover such as myself. 
I had recently tried the regular version of this beer and was planning on comparing notes side by side but for some reason or another that didn't happen, but I my mind is pretty sharp and I could easily tell the difference between the two.
This version, the imperial, had a good amount of spice and nutmeg in the aroma, but not enough to blow me away. The color was darker then the normal version and there seemed to be much more foam when poured into my Dogfish snifter. The flavor had a good amount of pumpkin and spice, but yet again, nothing that really blew me away. Everything else, the carbonation and head retention, seemed fairly good, but then again I don't pay that much attention to the carbonation and head retention. 
All in and all the pumpkin beers for this year were 50/50. Some were outstanding and others were not. My top 2 pumpkin beers this year would have to be:
1.TREAT by Midnight Sun
2.Southern Tier Pumking 

This one was a good attempt, better then most, but still nothing super special, but I'm glad that I was able to try it.

Grade B

 

No comments:

Post a Comment