Friday, November 12, 2010

Captain Lawrence Captain's Reserve DIPA

Brewer : Captain Lawrence Brewing Co. (New York)
Style : Double IPA
ABV : 8%

Well Friday is finally here, thank God, and that means it's time to crack  open some more brews to rate, but before that can happen let's talk about a good DIPA from Captain Lawrence. 
I got this a few weeks ago as an extra in a trade. Now I don't know any about Captain Lawrence Brewing Co. besides the Smoke from the  Oak porters they make, which I hear are really tasty. 
This was a really good DIPA but something really odd struck me as I poured it into my glass. The color was really light. Similar to any typical lighter beer, well maybe not that light, but pretty frickin' light. I went to take a whiff thinking that it might not hold too much quality but I was pretty wrong. 
The aroma was full of hops and malt backing. The foam was pretty thick and held it's own for quite a while. As I took the first sip a lot of the flavors really seemed to spring out from everywhere. It had a little bit of a woody character along with floral hops. The malts gave it a sweet kick to it, but nothing too overpowering. 
Overall it was a very easy sipping, drinkable beer, but I've probably had better. 

Grade B

 

No comments:

Post a Comment