Monday, November 29, 2010

Cascade Kriek Ale

Brewer : Cascade Brewing Co. (Oregon)
Style : Sour/Wild Ale
ABV : 6.6%

First off I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and got their fill on turkey and such. I for one know I did, probably a little too much. I was fortunate enough to celebrate Thanksgiving twice. Once down here in Lighthouse Point with my parents and again up in Port Orange with my girlfriends family. I love going up to Port Orange to escape the madness of South Florida, plus they get a lot of different beers that we don't get. I was lucky enough to snag a bottle of Cigar City Seabass while I was up there, which I will probably trade away, but who knows, I might get greedy and just keep it for myself. 

While in Port Orange I decided to check out more of the local beer scenes that are within close proximity of where I was staying. The Abbey in Deland has been a place I've heard a lot about so I decided to check it out, and the entire family, all 8 of us, decided to make the 30 minute drive together. I'll save the Abbey experience for another blog, but I  will go into the gem of a beer I got to try while I was there.

I walked in the Abbey and immediately saw the bottle of Cascade Kriek calling my name. I've been big into sour beers lately so I knew I couldn't pass this up. The bottle was a little pricey, but how often do I get to taste a great sour beer in Deland? 
Simply put this beer was just outstanding. Super intense sour flavors. It was almost like biting into a Jolly Rancher. The fruity, tart flavors just made the cheeks and lips pucker with joy. I took the liberty of pouring everyone a small sample to see their reactions. The reaction was probably 50/50, which is just about what I expected. They aren't beer people, but I love spreading the love around. 
I will definitely be getting this one again.

Grade A++

 

No comments:

Post a Comment