Monday, November 8, 2010

Dogfish Wrath of Pecant

Brewer : Dogfish Head (Delaware)
Style : Brown Ale
ABV : 6%

I have to give mad props to The Ferm over at www.dosbeerigos.com for giving me this hard to find beer for my birthday. I've heard threw the grape vine that this beer has a bacon flavor to it. Now I've had a few brown ales in my time, but I can't say that bacon has really been prevalent in any beer that I've tried. So needless to say I was a bit skeptical, but I was sorely wrong. 
I split the bottle with my brother and buddy Pat Friday night. It seemed to be the right time since the first cold front of the year had come through. The windows of the apartment were open, the AC was turned off, and the breeze was flowing throughout the entire house. I had a pretty good feeling that I was about to be blown away by this beer. 
The aroma had bacon quality to it, but more like maple bacon. As if you were having a stack of pancakes and you have your bacon right next to them. You don't just get the pancakes drenched with syrup, you get the bacon as well. That's sort of the feeling I got. The color wasn't all that brown, in the tradition sense, but I could see plenty of dark browning tints to it. The flavors were sweet and malty, but once the again the maple bacon took center stage here. My brother and Pat were just as blown away by the maple bacon flavor as I was, which is always a good that I had a real winner on my hands with this one.

Grade A

1 comment: