Monday, November 22, 2010

Brew Works Pumpkin Ale

Brewer : Brew Works (Pennsylvania)
Style : Pumpkin Ale
ABV : 5%

The pumpkin beer season is not over yet, for me at least. Not till the last piece of turkey has been consumed and the last piece of pumpkin pie feasted upon will I officially change my view towards Christmas beers. That might be a bit extreme actually. I've already got my eyes on a Christmas beer I missed out on last year, or just didn't get around to trying. You might know it as the St. Bernardus Christmas Ale. I've heard lots of good things and I've located a few bottles in some of the local stores, so it's only a matter of time. 

This bottle from Brew Works, Pumpkin Ale, was actually a side thought because I was initially after the Imperial Pumpkin Ale from Brew Works, but the trader suggested I try the normal Pumpkin Ale as well, and I couldn't refuse. With that being said, I hope the Imperial Pumpkin holds a lot more of the pumpkin flavor than the regular pumpkin ale. 
The color holds true to most pumpkin ales I've tried this year, darkish orange with a very thin head. Little to no foam collects in the glass. The aroma was on the spicier side but missed a lot of the pumpkin/nutmeg. With not a whole lot of pumpkin in the aroma I didn't expect there to be much pumpkin in the flavor and I turned out to be right. The flavor was malty and spicy with a little bit of nutmeg in there, but sadly, only a little  bit  of pumpkin. Needless to say I was less then impressed with this one.
My last few attempts at pumpkin beers as come up short, but hopefully Brew Works can redeem themselves when I crack open the Imperial Pumpkin Ale in a few days. 

Grade C

No comments:

Post a Comment