Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Trout River Knight Slayer

Brewer : Trout River Brewing (Vermont)
Style : Imperial Stout
ABV : 9.5%

Big imperial stouts are probably one of my biggest achillies heel when it  comes  to beer. One of my first imperial stout moments would have to be my first Dogfish World Wide Stout. Though I'd never had a beer with such a high ABV before that I remember getting a dose of chocolate flavor. From then on I guess I was just plane hooked on stouts in general.
This one was an extra in a trade, and a very generous one at that. I was told that up until a few weeks ago this stout was only available on draft at the brewery and a few select high end beer joints in Vermont. I had the pleasure of sharing this one with Mike from www.mikelovesbeer.com and I'm glad I did because he shared some insight on the flavor that I may not have caught. 

The pour was completely pitch black, with an almost syrup texture to it. There's a good amount of coffee bean in the aroma, which I always love, swiftly followed by dark chocolate, my favorite combo in stouts. The flavor has a good amount of dark malts, but with a milky/lactose taste that Mike pointed out. If he hadn't of mentioned it I probably wouldn't have noticed it. I'm still learning a lot about detecting flavors on the palate. 

It was a great beer to say the least. A good after dinner sipping outside with a big fat cigar type of stout. 

Grade A

2 comments:

  1. I did really enjoy this one. I did find it very much like a milk stout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very surprised by how good this was.

    ReplyDelete