Thursday, November 18, 2010

Allagash Confluence Ale

Brewer : Allagash Brewing Co. (Maine)
Style : Belgian Ale
ABV : 7.4%

Allagash has been good to me in so many ways. I remember 2 years ago when I visited Maine with my girlfriend and her family. The streets were carved from brick and the port constantly gives off the ocean smell, plus the cooler weather. We went in the summer, but it was still nice and chilly. But the best part was getting off the airplane and grabbing a lobster roll at a restaurant in downtown Portland. I didn't know anything about Allagash at the time, but I checked out the draft list and said "I'll have an Allagash." Could have been one of the best decisions I've made. Lobster roll and an Allagash beer, life couldn't get any better at that moment. 

Since that time there have been highs and lows for Allagash in the South Florida area. I've got to try a good portion of what they offer down here, that would be the highs. The lows would be the fact that Allagash is being pulled from the South Florida beer market, as many of you may or may not know. So getting hold of hard to come by Allagash beers has become somewhat of a quest for me. 

This one, Allagash Confluence, sort of had me a little bit confused. I get a majority of my beer info from two sites. RateBeer and BeerAdvocate . One site had it listed as a Belgian Ale and the other had it listed as a Wild Ale. I didn't know what to make of this conundrum of sorts so I let the beer do the talking.

The color was pretty light, but with light goldish tints. It had a very thin, bubbly head but quickly said bye bye after a short period of time. There were very faint sour aromas going. Possibly a little bit of lemon zest, but mostly a lot of belgian yeast prevailed in the aroma. The flavor was just like the aroma, belgian yeast, but with a little bit of tartness to it. 

What style do I consider it to be. Well it has some sour qualities but not enough to bare the name Wild Ale. I'd go more with Belgian Ale myself. The yeast really came through a lot more then the sour tartness. A good enjoyable, sipping beer. 

Grade B

 

No comments:

Post a Comment