Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Red Poppy

Brewer : Port Brewing/Lost Abbey (California)
Style : Sour/Wild Ale
ABV : 5.5%

When I traveled out to California I had made a list, somewhat, of the beers I wanted to try. Pliny, Speedway,Sculpin etc etc. Most of them I  got to try and then there were some that made me think "I'd love to get that, but probably won't find it". Red Poppy was one such beer. 

I came across this in a small wine store about 2 blocks from where I was staying in Manhattan Beach,CA. I saw the bottle and thanked the beer gods, but then saw the price. 375ml bottle for $20. Was it worth it? I pondered for quite some time and realized that I wasn't about to let this one get away. Lucky for me my girlfriends mom promised me some beer as a Christmas present and I figured this would be a good a time as any to cash in on that deal. Well not only did she buy this for me but she proceeded to get me The Dissident, Jubel 2010, The Abyss, plus a few others. What can I say, I was truly in luck. 

Uncorking the bottle took a little bit of time but once I got it opened I started to salivate at the aromas I got from it. I was hit with an onslaught of cherries and sour funk goodness. I also got some woody, oaky characters as well. The appearance was dark and hazy. A brownish hue with a very thin head. The flavors were sour and fruity. Not too overly sweet, but just the right balance between sour and sweet. Nice tart after taste, which hung on the palate for a good while. 

I quickly poured everyone at the table a small taste. Of course no one was into it, but that was the plan, more for me (I'm sort of greedy beer geek). I felt it only fair to try and spread the wealth around since it was Christmas time and the season of giving. 

Grade A+

As you can tell by the photo I use the tools I have around me at the time.  You/I never know when a possible review might strike.

Song of the Day : MetallicA's All Nightmare Long

No comments:

Post a Comment