Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Brewdog Paradox Isle of Arran

Brewer : BrewDog (Scotland)
Style : Imperial Stout
ABV : 10%

I've got so many beers to review after my California trip that I don't even know where to start. How about those beers I didn't get to right before the trip. That sounds like a natural place to start.

Those brewers from Scotland, BrewDog, are just insane. It seems like they keep pushing the envelope on where beer can go, most of all the ABV. They have 3 beers that are over 30% ABV, which is just nuts in my opinion. That spells one and done in my book, I don't care who you are and what your drinking status is. You finish a beer like Sink The Bismarck, which weighs in at 41% ABV, all by yourself and you better hand over your car keys. 
The one I picked up recently in Orlando, Paradox Isle of Arran, is a little easier to handle, but still a bit high in the ABV range.

I had the pleasure of sitting down with my sister Natalie to get some outside perspective on this beer and how it hit here palate. 



I poured the  12oz bottle into two Cigar City snifter glasses and we examined the color first. It was very dark, that was obvious,  but the  texture was pretty thick, almost syrupy. Very little carbonation and a very small head. 
Next we went for the aroma next. Both of us thought there was a sweet chocolate vanilla to the aroma,  but also with a bit of alcohol burn and oak aromas as well. (I somewhat coached Natalie into smelling the oak aromas because she's a Corona type girl, but you gotta start somewhere)
Next came the flavor. Since the carbonation was so low Natalie took a sip and thought it was almost like flat Coke. I examined it a little closer. I could see where she was coming from. The mouth feel was very light and I could see how the flat Coke thing could come to mind. I also got a little  bit of chocolate and whiskey flavors on the back end.

I didn't want to get super technical with Natalie on her first go around with rating so I decided to call it quits after just going over three aspects of this beer, but I think she did a fine job for her first beer rating. 

Grade B+

 

No comments:

Post a Comment