Friday, January 28, 2011

Ballast Point Big Eye

Brewer : Ballast Point Brewing Co. (California)
Style :  IPA
ABV : 6%

Well I haven't been able to update the blog as much as I'd like this week but that's because I've been pretty busy with work and school. I  suppose those things are a little bit more important then beer, but I don't know sometimes... Speaking of which I only have 20 minutes to  review this beer before I have to leave for my next guitar lesson, so I'm gonna keep this brief. 

Ballast Point makes some great beers, especially the  IPA style. I've had a few of their beers, most importantly Sculpin, which was heavenly, and they really seem to have their IPA's down to a science. 
This one sort of reminded me of Sculpin,  but the balls just haven't dropped yet. It has a good amount of hops and citrus in the aroma, and flavor, but doesn't quite carry the bite that Sculpin had. The color is darkish and hazy, with a slightly cloudy center. The way I know if a beer has a good amount of hops in it or not is if my girlfriend sneezes within 10 seconds of trying it. She's allergic to hops I believe ( and chocolate, so pretty much all things good in this world, or any other). She better stay away from Hopslam or  Hopstoopid. Anyway, I really enjoyed this beer. The beer wasn't too heavy on the mouth and as it warmed up a bit the malt backing really made it's presence known.

Probably too brief of a description but I'm running out of time.

Grade A






Song of the Day : Iron and Wine ---Communion Cups and Someone's Coat

No comments:

Post a Comment