Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Kuhnhenn Solar Eclipse Imperial Stout

Brewer : Kuhnhenn Brewing (Michigan)
Style : Imperial Stout
ABV : 18% (Big old boy)

So for the Sarasota/FlaBrew meet up two weeks ago I wasn't sure what I was going to bring. A good bomber of something is always a good plan, but most of the bombers in my cellar are things I want to share for a special day. Kuhnhenn Solar Eclipse was a beer that I just got in a recent trade, and at a staggering 18%ABV I knew I'd need some help with this big boy. As it turns out the tasting was a bit smaller then I was expecting and most everyone brought bombers. So bringing a 12oz bottle turned out to be a good thing. The sad thing was that there was more beer then everyone could consume, we ended up dumping some amazing beer. Oh well, at least the plants were happy.

This one ended up having a pitch black pour with a creamy head. Swishing it around in my taster glass like a snob I noticed it had somewhat of a spotty lacing and an oily texture. The aroma was pretty intense to say the least. It had hints of brown sugar, chocolate malts and coffee. Heavenly, and to quote The Ferm, it was "sexual". The flavor was boozy, malty, and creamy. The booze sort of a gave my palate a good swift gut shot, but sometimes I enjoy a good surprise. 

I believe that everyone that got a chance to try it either really enjoyed it or gave me a hug for bringing it (AlesFromTheCrypt).

Grade A






Song of the Day: Led Zeppelin --Fool In The Rain

No comments:

Post a Comment