Wednesday, January 19, 2011

New Belgium Lips of Faith - Imperial Berliner Style Weisse

Brewer : New Belgium Brewing Co. (Colorado)
Style : Sour/Wild Ale
ABV : 7%

A few months back Mike from www.mikelovesbeer.com invited me and a few other beer lovers over to his place for a good old fashion BBQ, and drinks of course. While I was there someone pulled  out a bottle of New Belgium Lips of Faith La Folie. I had heard things about New Belgium's  Lips of Faith series but never had any of them. Well needless to say I  was quite surprised about how good it was. After the BBQ I went home and did a little more research on these Lips of Faith beers. I found out that there are somewhere around 25 beers from the Lips  of Faith series. I decided the only way to make an accurate assumption about these beers is to try them all, hell or high water. 

This one was another beer I picked up while in California. The pour was golden with slight brownish tints. A thin bubbly head,  with very little lacing. The aroma had hints of citrus and sour zest but nothing that  made me jump out of my seat. The flavor was also a little bland with a little bit  of sour funk and citrus notes. The flavors were actually a little  bit bitter on the back end and things just seemed a little off balance. 

I don't know how many of you out there have had this beer, but  for me the flavors just seemed a little too inconsistent and arbitrary. Not only do I  love stouts, but I'm also slowly becoming a sour head, so I  guess I really love a super  sour beer.  This one just didn't  have enough sour funk to impress me. 


Grade C+


Song of the Day -- Lamb of God Ruin (yeah it's one of those kind of days)

2 comments:

  1. I was really excited to try this one when we were going out to Colorado because I had loved the Lips of Faith stuff before and I love Berliner Weisses.

    But upon having it I was disappointed. It wasn't nearly as tart as I hoped and it was actually boozy in taste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Mike. I feel ya. I was disappointed to say the least

    ReplyDelete