Friday, January 14, 2011

The Dissident

Brewer : Deschutes (Oregon)
Style : Sour/Wild
ABV : 9%

Dictionary.com defines the word Dissident as "disagreeing or dissenting, as in opinion or attitude". OK, now that the vocabulary lesson is over let's "get right down to brass tax" as the good old Dr. HST would say (Dr. Hunter S. Thompson)


There's no area of this beer I disagree with whatsoever. This could be, if my mind serves me correctly, my very first brown sour. Now I've had a few sours in my short beer career, but none of which I can say were brown. So I went ventured into this bottle somewhat blind not knowing what to expect. 


What I found was a small piece of heaven. It had the sour funk that most sours/wilds have with that distinct funk that only that style can pull off. It also had a tiny bit of malt, which I was expecting, since it is a darker beer. I dug the aroma the most, I wanted to crawl inside the bottle and just live in there for a while.  The flavor had a good bit of sour cherries and some oaky character to it. The mouth feel wasn't super heavy, but the flavors stayed on the palate for a good while. 


I wanted to pass the bottle around but no one else in the room had the taste for sours yet, so I had to finish the bomber by myself, which I was totally fine with. 


Grade A+








Song of the Day : Dear and The Headlights "It's Gettin' Easy"


Can't wait to meet a bunch of new beer geeks tomorrow at the Meet Up at Cock and Bull. Should be a great time. Cheerz!!

2 comments: