Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Firestone 14

Brewer : Firestone Walker Brewing Co. (California)
Style : American Strong Ale
ABV : 12.5%

Picking up  this beer was sort of a last minute decision while I was on vacation in California. I walked into a store, saw this beer sitting in the cooler, and then saw the price tag. $25!!!!! WTF!!!! 
With a price as high as that there must be some kind of hype behind it, or something rare about it. I got in front of my computer later on that day and did a little research on it. Here's what I found out (and I'll just copy and  paste it because I'm too lazy to type the whole  thing out verbatim)

COMMERCIAL DESCRIPTION
As a finished beer, 14 is brimming with amazing flavors and textures. DDBA leads the blend lending American toasted oak, English caramel toffee and light leather nuances. Newcomer, Sticky Monkey, folds in the taste of brown sugar, molasses, cinnamon, ginger and ripe figs. Parabola brings the familiar flavors of bitter dark chocolate and cherry pit. Velvet Merkin carries silky bourbon soaked chocolate cake goodness to the party while a touch of Black Xantus teases coffee and tobacco. Last, but not least, Good Foot brings the hops... hints of citrus zest and tangerine, which adds a pop to the aroma and nice finish to this big, sexy brew. 14 is best enjoyed in a half filled brandy snifter or wine glass. Allow it to warm to 55F to fully enjoy the pleasing and complex aromas. If left in a cool dark place, I suspect this beer will age well. It was an absolute pleasure making it and I truly hope you enjoy our fifth oak–aged blend! The journey continues

So it's a blend of some really awesome beers, one of  which, Parabola, is one that I've had the pleasure of sharing with my friends after my first successful trade. So I asked myself the most logical question at the time: "Is it worth it?" 

Well by the time I answered the question I had already had a few drinks and I figured I didn't want to miss out on the opportunity to try it. So I walked a few blocks back to the store and forked over my $25. Was it worth it? Oh yeah

It was super dark when poured into the snifter I was using. I thought it should have been under the Imperial Stout moniker, but whatever, I'll just go with it. The taste was rich and creamy. Good amount of roasted malt character along with hints of chocolate and caramel. It carried somewhat of a milky lactose texture, but it also had a good amount of oaky-ness to it as well. The mouth feel was a little heavy, but not enough to slow me down from taking my next sip. 

Overall it was a great experience and a great final beer of my trip. 

Grade A+
 





Song of  the  Day: Trivium----The Crusade (A great display of guitar riffing)

No comments:

Post a Comment