Tuesday, January 11, 2011

All Hail The Mighty Pliny

Brewer : Russian River (California)
Style : Double IPA
ABV : 8%

For those of you who don't follow/read up on beer as much as I do you probably have never heard of Pliny the Elder from Russian River. For those of you who do, you know that it's one of the most highly sought after beers on the  planet.

If you jump over to RateBeer and click on the "top beers" icon on  the  left hand side you will see that Pliny ranks at #2 as one  of the top beers on the planet. Why so highly ranked you ask? Well this is a question I had been asking myself too. While out in California I was on a mission to find the  answer to this question.

I was lucky enough to not only score a bottle, which I've been told cases have sold out in just matter of minutes, but to also try it on draft. It was actually one of the first beers I consumed while  on my trip. The taste is not only extremely hoppy, but has a good amount citrus and malts in the mix as well. The taste was somewhat of a mix of those three flavors, sort of a bland explanation I know, but what really impressed me was how well this beer was balanced. Every flavor was easily distinguishable. It was incredibly smooth/light on the palate and was incredibly easy to drink. I don't know what you look for in a beer but those qualities can win me over most every time. 

Is it worth being ranked at #2? I believe so. Is the hype monster a big factor to play in this? Probably, but it most certainly lives up to all of it. All I know is that it was a great beer and a great drinking experience. Another feather in my cap to say the least. 

Grade A+



 New Feature....Song of the Day : Neil Young "Harvest Moon"

2 comments:

  1. Great beer, really want to get my hands on some of the younger though!

    Love the song of the day stuff as well....I thought about doing it a while back, but nothing ever came of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was amazing. Looking for the younger as well. Hope others like the song of day thing as well.

    ReplyDelete