Friday, February 25, 2011

Troegs Scratch 27

Brewer : Troegs Brewing Co. (Pennsylvania)
Style : Sweet Stout
ABV : 6.7%

Friday is finally here people. What a glorious day to kick back and enjoy a good craft beer, after all the hard work is done and the clock strikes 5pm of course. This Friday, for me, feels like I have the day off, for one reason. I didn't have to wake up at the crack of dawn at 5:45am to hit the gym before class, which lasts for close to 4 hours. What was I thinking signing up for an oceanography class that early in the morning. But any who, I'm rested and ready to tackle the day. 

This beer from Troegs was one that I didn't know anything about. I did a little bit of research on Beer Advocate and found out that it was a sweet stout, so I figured it would be right up my alley. 

The pour was extremely black and thick. It had a tiny little brown head to it, with a just a wee bit of carbonation. The aroma was pretty sweet with hints of chocolate and brown sugar. The flavor was on the sweet side as well, definitely an after dinner drink. Sort of a milky lactose taste to it, but with a nice malt backing. Sort of reminded me a little bit of milk chocolate I use to make as a kid. 

Overall the taste was great, but I've had plenty of sweet stouts in my time with plenty more to offer in the character department. Not to trash this one at all, but it didn't really wow me out of my seat. But it's definitely worth a try if you get a chance to try it.

Grade B

 

No comments:

Post a Comment