Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Short's The Wizard

Brewer : Short's Brewing Co. (Michigan)
Style : Barley Wine
ABV : 11%

Time for another quick review before I have to run out the door.

Short's, from Bellaire, MI, makes some incredible beers. If you follow, or track down their beers, you've probably heard of their famous Key Lime Pie beer. I mean come on, how could someone not want to  try that? Beer lover or not that just sounds tasty. I love beer and love desert (as a kid, not so much anymore, because I want to keep my slim girlish figure) so it would only be nature to want to combine the two. But unfortunately I haven't been able  to  try this one  yet, but rest assured  that I will hunt this one down and beat it to the ground. 

OK, I've lost my train of thought. On with this beer, The Wizard.

The commercial description about this beer says that it's brewed with raisins and boiled for 6 hours and 66 minutes. I'm no math wizard here, no pun intended, but wouldn't  that make it a boil of 7 hours and 6 minutes. But I see where they are going with this. Keep the evil factor involved and the people will eat it up. I don't worship the dark lord, even though I have a bottle of one, but like gimmicks like this keep me interested in beer and it's good for a laugh or two.

The beer itself is loaded with barley flavor. Mostly malts and barley prevail but you do get those raisins as well. The ABV was a tad high, not that I'm a wimp or  nothing, but it made for quite a boozy drink.  I found myself taking smaller sips then normal and cleaning my palate in between with a cracker here and there. Don't get me wrong I loved it, but I'm not the  biggest fan of barely wines. I suppose I just haven't been totally knocked off my feet by one yet. 

Grade B






Song of the Day : MetallicA --Mercyful Fate Medley (Evil, just like this beer)

No comments:

Post a Comment