Thursday, February 10, 2011

Dark Horse Tres

Brewer : Dark Horse Brewing Co. (Michigan)
Style : Sweet Stout
ABV : 7%

I just can't seem to  get away from these beers from Michigan, they're all just so good. Some  day I'm gonna have to make a  trip up that way and do a little exploring for myself.

I pulled this one out of  the cellar for a certain, and  not just because I was craving a stout. This stout in particular has blueberries in it. Why is that so special? Well earlier on that day I was having an early dinner with my girlfriend Kim, her sister Kiki (answers to Christie, but I only know her by that name), and my buddy Pat. We were eating some  BBQ at Texas Hold Em BBQ, which has a pretty good craft beer selection, and Kiki wanted a "fruity" beer. I suggested a Magic Hat #9, but she didn't seem to like that. Long story short she opted for a Heini Light, but I was determined to find her a good fruity beer. I know that she loves Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat, but that has since been removed from the South Florida market for reasons unbenounced to me. We met back at my place for a few more drinks and I decided to pick up a six pack of Blue Paw for her to try. She described the beer as tasting like blueberry pancakes. I then let her taste some of my Dark Horse Tres, to which she replied. "This is like blueberry pancakes, but with syrup on top". 

I guess her short description of Dark Horse Tres pretty much summed up this beer in one sentence. It is extremely dark and syrupy. Sweet aroma of chocolate and malts with a good amount of blueberry backing. The flavor is sweet as well, just like pancakes with syrup. I probably couldn't see myself drinking more then one of  these though as the sweetness could  probably beat my palate into submission. 

Needless to  say though I really enjoyed this tasty, after dinner beverage. Most definitely a desert beer. 

Grade A





Song of the Day : John Denver : Thank God I'm a Country Boy (RIP John)

No comments:

Post a Comment