Thursday, December 9, 2010

Unibroue Quelque Chose

Brewer : Unibroue (Canada)
Style : Fruit Beer
ABV : 8%

"Don't fruit the beer" Remember those Miller Light commercials where all types of guys were sitting around a table discussing "Man Laws". One happened to be the fact that a "real" man should never put a lime or lemon in his beer, such as when drinking a Corona. But what if the fruit is already in the beer? What then?
Does it make you less of a man if you like a beer with fruit flavors? Personally, as a big Pumpkin beer fan, I don't really see any problem with it. It's when you start adding limes and lemons to a beer that makes my question whether or not your a man. Hopefully this doesn't spark a huge outrage amongst anyone who might read this and I receive a whack to the head by some thug wearing a mask who's hiding in the shadows just outside my apartment. Sometimes fruit can be good.
Case in point. On my most recent vacation my friend Alan said that he had picked up some beer for us to try. He's been trying to find out what type of beer his wife would like, since he generally goes for the really hoppy stuff and her palate isn't quite to that point yet. So he picked up a bottle of Unibroue Quelque Chose figuring that it would be a neutral beer that anyone could drink since of the fruit flavors. Well turns out that she didn't really enjoy it all that much, which was sort of a bummer, but I on the other hand enjoyed it very much. 
The fruit is definitely more prevalent then the hops or the malts on this one. The cherries really come through more then any other fruit, even though there are others such as apricots and raisins. It has a nice touch of tartness to it as well, that made me think of nice sour/wild ale. There wasn't much carbonation to it. Poured it right into my glass, no tilting, and nothing seemed to happen. But I can't judge a beer on it's carbonation alone. The color was a mix between a muddy brown and dark purple. I  suppose that had a lot to do with the cherries being added to the mix. 
All said and done I enjoyed it and thought that it was an interesting beer. I might actually recommend it to anyone who is looking to branch over into the craft beer world. Something you and your girlfriend or wife can sip on comfortably. 

Grade B

 

No comments:

Post a Comment