Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Ballast Point Calico Amber Ale

Brewer : Ballast Point Brewing Co. (California)
Style : Amber Ale
ABV : 5%

So Ballast Point has made it's way to South Florida, thank the beer gods, and of course I like some buffoon wait till I'm  in a different state to pick one up. Perhaps somewhere in the depths of my subconscious I think that some beer will taste better in a different setting other then Florida. Who knows, I sure as hell don't. 

I don't typically reach for amber ales all that often, but I couldn't pass on this one, simply because of  the fish on the front. It made me reminisce of a time when I was just a wee lad, way before a beer had touched my lips. My father's big event for some father-son bonding time would always be to take my brother and I to Lake Okeechobee to go fishing. I wasn't opposed to fishing,  but the 2 hour drive and the waking up at 4am sort of left a bad taste in my mouth. However this beer didn't. 


It had a nice amber color with red tints. The foam really seemed to  collect fast on this one, getting almost to the tippy top of my glass, and I had only poured half a glass for myself. The aroma was full hops and malts, while the flavor had a slight tart flare to it. The body wasn't too hard to  handle, as I could see myself drinking multiple bottles of this. I'll have to remember to grab a few to drink next time I go fishing.


Grade B





 

No comments:

Post a Comment