Monday, December 13, 2010

Sweetwater Festive Ale

Brewer : Sweetwater Brewing Co. (Georgia)
Style : Spice/Herb
ABV : 8.6%

So it's a little colder here in Florida then in other parts of the country, which I always find a little odd. No matter how cold it gets you'll always find some fool who's down here on vacation and needs to jump into the ocean. I'm all for it. It gives me something to chuckle about while I stroll down A1A. After the dip into that cold dip into the ocean you'll need to warm up with something. How about a winter warmer? Warms you right to the core and then some. 

Sweetwater Festive Ale is a good example of what a winter warmer should shoot for, even though in my biased ways I'm reluctant to say that Cigar City holds the title of my favorite winter warmer, but that's a different discussion all together. 
Sweetwater has made quite a good beer with this one. Dark in color, black with very little transparency, as you can see in the photo. Sort of low carbonation with virtually no foam, but the flavors were still very abundant. Spicy with a kick of ginger. Sort of like walking into a ginger bread house, literally. A lot of the same spicy flavors are very prevalent on the palate, but didn't bore me after the first few sips. All the  flavors seemed pretty well balanced. 

It's a great Christmas beer to share with friends and family, but wait till after dinner. More of a dessert drink.

Ginger, if you read this, pick  up a bottle of this in Atlanta. 

Grade B

 

No comments:

Post a Comment