Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Olde Rabbit's Foot

Brewer : Foothills,Duck Rabbit,Olde Hickory Collaboration (North Carolina)
Style : Russian Imperial Stout
ABV : 10.13%


I knew that going to Asheville,NC was going to be a great trip. Great beer people and great stores, but did I expect to land any "whales"? Probably not, but I was super excited when I came across Olde Rabbit's Foot. Long Story short I walked into a local wine/beer store called Appalachian Vintner, which came highly recommend by my fellow beer friend Alan, and I started talking to one of the employees, who's name I forget, but he was really friendly and knew a lot about beer. I talked to him about stouts and he asked if I had tried Sexual Chocolate. I told him that I had a bottle waiting in my cellar to try, so he suggested I try a special stout that he had in the back that wasn't even in the system.  I figure it was just from his personal collection. Well he pulled out this baby and quickly informed me that it was a Russian Imperial stout blend from 3 local brewers (Foothills,Duck Rabbit,Olde Hickory). I was sold instantly. 

It was a great sipping beer to  say the least. Weather was cold and this one warmed me to the soul. It had a lot of coffee bean in the aroma, as well as bourbon and oaky characters. It was a thick old boy, almost syrup like, with  a jet black finish. A thin brownish head arose and endured for quite some time. I expected there to be somewhat low carbonation, such like a Zukhov, but it had a good amount of carbonation, which I was pleasantly surprised by. 

I don't think that I had a better stout while I was in Asheville, a lot of good sours, but not a better stout. I feel really lucky to have tried it.

Grade A

 

No comments:

Post a Comment