Friday, December 10, 2010

PIsgah Vortex 1

Brewer : Pisgah Brewing Co. (North Carolina)
Style : DIPA
ABV : 10.8%

Sometimes after I pass on a beer, in a store or at a bar, I feel like I didn't do my homework on that beer prior to the encounter. I guess that  comes from not reading up on that many threads on beer websites or magazines. That being said let's get right down to brass tax here (as good old Hunter S. Thompson would say)

I was in North Carolina recently and I had countless Pisgah beers at my disposal. I was lucky enough to try some(Vortex 1,Vortex 2,Valdez), but I felt pretty dumb when I got back to FL and realized that Pisgah  beers are in pretty high demand, as BeerAdvocate states on their website. I suppose it was just me being a coward and not wanting to risk any bottles getting destroyed in my suitcase on the flight home. I suppose better safe then sorry, but I still would have loved to bring some home to either share or trade. Maybe my friend Alan up on Asheville can send me some? I mean what are friends for right? Anyway, on to the review.

This was the 2nd beer I tried while I was in Asheville. It had a dark copper pour  with a good sized head to it, which had pretty good retention to it. What did it smell like? Surprise surprise hops of course,  but it also had a good amount of citrus in there as well. The flavor wasn't dominated but any one ingredient. Hops and citrus flavors were prevalent first then followed by the  malts. Everything seemed well balanced and I can see why this beer would be highly sought after by beer lovers. 

Grade A

 

No comments:

Post a Comment