Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Dogfish Saison de Buff

Brewer : Dogfish Head Brewery (Delaware)
Style : Saison
ABV : 6.8%

So I was running on the treadmill today in the gym, watching the TV's not really paying attention, and I happened to noticed this credit card commercial that was showing how this brewer was starting a business and blah blah blah. It got me thinking a little bit. Is craft beers and craft brewing going mainstream these days? With the success of Brewmasters hitting the airwaves, and the easy going personality of Sam Caligone as the poster boy for craft beer, I can't see it not growing and becoming more popular in the coming years. Trust me, there's nothing I want to see more then my father, who is an advent light beer drinker, pick up a six pack, of say, Dogfish 60 minute IPA and enjoy every sip of it. I wouldn't say that I want to see the "Big Three" (Bud Light,Coors Light,Miller Light) be destroyed, because I still enjoy a Coors Light every now and then, but what I would like to see is more and more beer drinkers try a craft beer and ask themselves why it took so long to try something different. Hopefully we in the craft beer community can convert beer drinkers to expand there palates and try something new, one beer at a time.

So Dogfish....that was the real meaning of this post.  I think that I've tried more of their beers then any other brewery, I think it's around 30 at this point. They were one of the first breweries to get me excited about craft beer, so they hold a special place in my heart. So I'm always excited to try something new, or new to me, from them. Saison de Buff is one such beer. 

After the pour into my glass I noticed how light the color was.  A little bit  of  yellow and gold, but with a hazy, cloudy center. The head was a little thicker then most, which got me excited, and I quickly went in to expect the aroma. Spicy with a good amount of citrus in there. The flavor was spicy and citrusy as well, but with a lemon zest and a  good malt backing. The beer wasn't heavy in the slightest. Very easy to drink and enjoy to the very end. My only regret was that  I didn't buy more of this. 

Grade A

No comments:

Post a Comment