Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Terrapin Hoptaneous Combustion

Brewer : Terrapin Beer Company (Georgia)
Style : Double IPA
ABV : 9.3%

Before I begin today's review I'd like to share some good news with everyone. I was just recently chosen to write about craft beer in the Ft. Lauderdale area for www.examiner.com I'm pretty jazzed about it and hopefully I can hash out a few good articles here and there. Hopefully by next week I'll have my first article up for viewing. I'll keep everyone posted on the links and such. 

Well today's beer is from our neighbors up in Georgia, the one and only Terrapin. I was walking around Knightly Spirits in Orlando a few weeks ago making my final selections and saw this one standing alone in a box. Knowing that Terrapin can make a fine beer I whipped out the old iphone and did a little research. This one is a smoked double IPA. Sounds like quite a trip in a glass if  you ask me. Smoky beers have never been my favorite style but I decided to take a leap of faith and give it a shot. 

This is quite an intriguing beer and not for the faint of heart. It's got all the hopiness one might expect from a DIPA but with the smokiness of a small forest fire, not to mention the malts that backed everything up. The hoppiness and malty flavors were great, no problem there, but it was a little  hard for me to get past all the  smoky flavors. This is just another prime example of a beer that demands acquired taste buds. I love stepping outside my comfort zone and trying different beers as much as I can but this one just had too much smoky flavor and it somehow reminded me of eating burnt wood chips. Oh well, maybe in time I'll develop a more in tune palate to handle a beast like this.

Grade C

 Song of the Day : Explosions in the Sky --Your Hand In Mine

No comments:

Post a Comment